|Description||The kindergarten at Stockwell began in Sept 1874, under Miss Heerwart and Miss Pattison. It initially took place in the gymnasium of Stockwell College. First intake was 9 in the 5 days a week classes, and 13 in the Saturday morning only class. Fees were 20s per quarter and 5s per quarter respectively. Visitors were allowed to attend on Saturday mornings at a fee of 10s per quarter. There were 3 classes for kindergarten teachers, advanced, elementary and special. Fees were £10 pa, 5 pa and 30s pa. Certificates of competency were awarded at the end of each year. Resident students were entitled to sit for a government exam in December each year.|
In Jan 1876 the "Kindergarten College and Practising School" moved into a neighbouring house which had been taken on lease and fitted out. The BFSS Annual Report for 1876 states that the kindergarten had 28 students that year, plus 27 acting teachers who attended short courses, and sent out 10 kindergarten teachers. Elenore Heerwart was head of the Kindergarten at Stockwell College from 1874 - 1883. When she retired the BFSS decided to give up the training of private students as kindergarten teachers, although the kindergarten was continued as an independent school by the Misses Crombie.