Brunel University holds its own institutional records, as well as those of its predecessor colleges and the archives of the British and Foreign School Society.

Brunel University Archives

chart the history of Brunel University from Acton Technical College in 1928 through Brunel College of Technology in 1957 and finally to Brunel University in 1966 and the merger with West London Institute for Higher Education in 1995.

The Archives include committee papers, official papers, annual reports, prospectuses, photographs and university magazines such as Brunel News and Le Nurb.

Maria Grey College Archives

contains the surviving records of the college from its origins in 1878 to its incorporation to form the West London Institute of Higher Education in 1976. Maria Grey was the creator of the National Union for improving the Education of Women of all Classes, a pressure group formed to state a case for women's rights to professional recognition as teachers. The Union initiated two major schemes: the Girl's Public Day School Company and the Teachers' Training & Registration Society (TTRS), set up in 1876. The TTRS opened a college on 1st May 1878 in Bishopsgate, London, adopting the name 'Maria Grey College' in March 1886. In 1946 the college moved to Twickenham, merging in 1976 with Borough Road College and Chiswick Polytechnic to form the West London Institute of Higher Education, which later became part of Brunel University.

Records include Academic Board, Council, and committee papers, staff and student records, prospectuses, college magazines and photographs, as well as the Murray Collection of Children’s Books.

Shoreditch College Archives

date back to the early 20th Century. Shoreditch Training College was a teacher training institution for teachers of handicrafts. Its origins date back to the 1900s when London County Council set up a scholarship scheme for pupil teachers in handicraft. In 1907 this scheme became a department of the Shoreditch Technical Institute in Pitfield Street, London. In 1919, the Board of Education awarded training college status, and the department was renamed Shoreditch Training College. In 1951, the College moved to Englefield Green in Surrey. In the 1960s the first BEd degree course was validated and the College's name changed to Shoreditch College of Education, becoming a leading teacher training institution in the field of Craft, Design & Technology (CDT). It merged with Brunel University in 1980.

The Shoreditch College Archives include papers of the Academic Boards, staff and student records, prospectuses, examinations papers, exhibition papers, college newsletters and magazines 1920s-1970s, college clubs papers, photographs, press cuttings and a craft and design book collection.

British and Foreign School Society Archive

dates back to the end of the 18th century. In 1789 Joseph Lancaster opened a non-denominational school in Borough Road, Southwark, London, offering education using the monitorial system with older children teaching the younger ones. From this developed the British and Foreign School Society, thousands of British schools in England, Wales and overseas, and the teacher training colleges Borough Road College (which became part of the West London Institute in 1976 and Brunel University in 1995), Stockwell College, Saffron Walden College, Darlington College and Swansea College.

The Archives include papers on the formation of the BFSS, minute books from 1808, financial documents, establishment and progress of the British Schools, Newcastle Commission returns from British Schools, 19th century correspondence with British Schools both in the UK and overseas, BFSS charities and funds, Annual Reports, the BFSS publication “Educational Record” 1848-1929.

The various colleges’ archives include annual reports, student application forms and references, registers, course documentation, student magazines, photographs papers of alumni associations. NB. The bulk of Swansea College’s archives are at Swansea Metropolitan University Archives (for more information on their collections please contact their Archivist, Gill Fildes) and the bulk of Darlington College's archives are at Durham Record Office.

The Salmon Book Collection

includes books and pamphlets on education dating from the 19th century including works by Lancaster, Bell, Pestalozzi and Froebel.

The Saffron Walden College Children’s Book Collection consists of Victorian and Edwardian children's books.

Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017